Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Social Media Sceptic

Today in class we learned about Twitter. Twitter is a website where people connect through mini blogs called tweets. Tweets consist of 140 characters or less. Twitter has become incredibly popular. Many companies have begun monitoring tweets through Tweet Scan. This feature allows companies, or individuals to be notified of any mention of their company name. This is an excellent addition to the two-way communication being buzzed about in the public relations field.

I am not on Twitter yet. To be honestly, I have considered it several times and I will probably join in. But I have one question concerning the public relations aspect for companies. One of the companies we looked at in class that has used Twitter to learn what the public is saying about their company and to provide better customer service is Comcast. Comcast was getting a lot of bad publicity through angry tweets and blogs posted by disgruntled customers. Luckily, they started listening and they started taking steps to correct their image and make customers happy again. Good for them!

My problem is what if people start abusing this incredible customer service. After so many examples of quick, efficient, and friendly service by simply complaining on a blog or tweet will people start saying that they have problems just to get freebies? Is this even a concern? Is there even a way to monitor honesty online? Maybe not, maybe I am just being a pessimist.

Besides my scepticism of the twitter users intentions I think that it is an excellent invention. Very creative and user friendly. It seems that I am learning of some awesome new technology almost daily that will make my life easier and more enjoyable. Yay technology!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Although I was not in the class of the day we talked about Twitter, I am in your position where I've contemplated setting up an account and probably will soon! But to get to your arguement, I don't necessarily agree that people will take advantage of what Twitter offers to companies. I feel that people genuinely use blogs and start buzz on real problems they encounter with companies and don't do so just for freebies. I see where you were going with that though, but "social mediaites" seem to use the technology for what it's worth.

rcampsey said...

I'm glad to hear that. I just feel like there are people out there that always end up abusing a good thing. I certainly hope no one does this, and I'm glad to know that social media outlets like Twitter are being used responsibly!