Sunday, February 8, 2009

Do you want Facebook to know what you are doing?

Today I was researching for a paper that I was writing in my Communication and Popular Culture class. The paper was about Jessica Simpson's weight gain and how the media made a huge fuss over it. Throughout my browsing I logged into my facebook account and then closed that window. When I got to "The Insider's" story about Jessica Simpson I got a pop up. It asked me if I wanted to publish in my mini feed on facebook what I was looking at on "The Insider."

NO!

I remember we discussed this happening in class and we wondered if it was ethical for websites to monitor your browsing history and "cater" to your personal interests. When I was asked if I wanted to publish viewing "The Insider" in my facebook mini feed, when the facebook window wasn't even open I felt like my privacy had been invaded. I don't even see the point in telling my friends in facebook that I researched Jessica Simpson's weight gain via "The Insider."

I am curious, does anyone support this idea? Does anyone want facebook, or any other social networking site asking you if you want to publish your browsing history?

No comments: