Sunday, February 1, 2009

95 Theses from The Cluetrain Manifesto

I thought that this reading was really interesting. As I was reading along I found myself agreeing with most of the points. I like the idea of having an open discourse with companies. I like the idea of feeling confident in a product or idea put forth by a company. I love seeing how the market is changing and how people are talking to each other about their experiences with companies and products. I often look up customer review of products that I am thinking of trying because I feel more confident in an individuals statement rather than the marketing and advertisements placed by the company who is obviously just trying to sell me something.

"These markets are conversations. Their members communicate in language that is natural, open, honest, direct, funny and often shocking. Whether explaining or complaining, joking or serious, the human voice is unmistakably genuine. It can't be faked." http://www.cluetrain.com/book/95-theses.html

I am currently enrolled in two public relations classes right now. Both of them seem to be repeating over and over how social media and the Internet are changing the way PR works. This reading backs this point up. With blogging and PR and Facebook and all of the other social media tools out there companies hardly have a say in how they look. I have a Facebook profile and I often see movie reviews, links to videos, advertisements and complaints about tons of different things through my friends status updates. "My mac book is broken... again" "I finally got my luggage after a month" "Revolutionary Road was horrible!!!" The opinions and updates and in a way, product reviews I see influence the way I think. If I see that my friend thought a certain movie was horrible I probably won't feel the need to go see it! Companies have to pay attention to things like this as the Cluetrain Manifesto suggests. I respect the companies that get out there and have conversations with the public about what they represent. It makes people feel like they actually care about more than just making money.

I mentioned to my mom the other day that in my PR class I was told that honesty is the best policy. People like to be able to see into a company and trust it. She was honestly shocked and said, that isn't PR. PR is trying to cover up mistakes and sell ideas. This sentiment is shared by many in the United States. I think that maybe this is a new beginning. Students going into PR are being taught to value honesty and to build your companies reputation by making its motives transparent. I think that if companies learn from the Cluetrain Manifesto they will gain the confidence of the people and perhaps build a loyal following.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed your blog on the 95 Theses. I completely agree with your point of honesty and values, and how PR in the past has established a "dishonest, let's cover our...behinds" reputation. You also make a great point when you pointed out how social networking sites like facebook enable users to become "honest" advertisers. Alot of the news stories, products, movie reviews ect. that I take into consideration come from my friends opinions. We tend to trust our friends or people we know more than companies words because I feel like we can not put a face or personality to an entire company.

Anonymous said...

I also enjoyed your blog on the 95 Theses. I too have read them and agree with them as well. It is very important for corporations to be aware of what the consumers think of their products, whether they be positive or negative. I order and buy a lot of things via internet and everytime I've had an issue or problem, the websites typically have a place to leave feedback. I always receive emails or messages back from the companies after listing my feedback, which lets me know that they were listening to what I was saying and the steps they are going to take to ensure future satisfaction. Some of them also have blogs where you can speak directly to someone in charge. This allows for consumers to have more of a one-on-one relationship with companies.