Sunday, April 12, 2009

What is the big deal with Second Life?

Our class had a Second Life expert visit last week to give us an introduction to Second Life. He showed us his avatar, how you can move, teleport, build buildings, and chat with others. He also explained that St. Edward's is renting land, and built a campus on Second Life. I don't understand why this is necessary. I did use Second Life in my organizational communication class, but it was just to familiarize us with the technology in case our future employers use it. But I haven't used it in any other context. I hated it when we had to use it. I honestly do not understand why anyone would waste their time using this technology. It is clumsy, unrealistic, and easily replaceable by a conference call. If anyone has a defense for Second Life that will change my mind, please let me know!

1 comment:

Kirby said...

You won't hear one from me. I first tried out Second Life when it was discussed on "The Office" by Jim and Dwight. I decided to try it out but found it to be a bit dull. It didn't take me long to get board of it and move on. If this is how uninteresting Second Life is when I'm approaching it as a game, imagine how long it would take me to loose interest in something that was intended to inform, instead of entertain. Honestly, I feel like the only reason people and organizations use Second Life is so they can say that they use Second Life. Because it makes them sounds like their cutting edge. As far as it's functionality, like you mentioned when you talked about the conference call, there are far more useful tools out there that can do what Second Life can do, better.