Monday, April 20, 2009

Is Myspace a thing of the past??

In my Communication and Popular Culture class we were assigned to interview someone from the age of 12-15 on what they consider "cool." I chose to interview my 15 year old brother, Hayden. My 18 year old sister describes him as "too cool for school." So, obviously he was the ideal candidate for my interview. One of the questions we were supplied with to ask our interviewees was, " What new technology Internet sites, video games, etc. are cool? Do you think youtube, myspace, facebook, or twitter is cool? My social media savvy little brother spoke for himself and for his demographic, Myspace is for little kids. And Twitter looks stupid. Is this true? Are high school kids over Myspace? I personally have not updated my Myspace account in months. It seems that other social media sites have taken over and pushed Myspace back into the corner. I wonder why this is? How does this shift occur from Myspace to Facebook, and maybe eventually to Twitter, or some other fantastic form of social media. Is it the newness? Or are these new mediums for user friendly? Whatever it is "cool" continues to shift from one from to the next as I suspect it will continue to do. *sigh* Goodbye Myspace!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That may just be his opinion, as I've seen a lot of high school students my brother's age (16, byt the way) still using Myspace. I do think that it has become less of a social network and mroe of a music showcase, as I see lots more bands promoting their myspace pages than individuals. To be honest, I think they've moved on to other things, such as Twitter (which is far from being dead, even if it "looks stupid").
In my opinion, Myspace has always felt trashy. The page seemed much less organized than Twitter or Facebook, and I think it would have to undergo a major rebranding and format change to be able to lure users back in. Your brother's opinions probably do speak for a big chunk of high schoolers out there who, let's face it, tend to get bored and move on quicker than any demographic out there.

Ginny said...

I think the only people still using myspace are creeps looking for some kids to hit on, or younger (middle school aged) kids signing up for any social media they've heard of. I remember when I was in middle school and we had just gotten the internet at my house. Man, I was in every chat room available on AOL, just because I wanted to try it out. I think kids are just trying out myspace before they realize all the glitches and worms that it has. They'll get tired of messages and friend invitations from spammers and creeps, and move on to something more "grown up".

I agree, myspace does seem trashy. It is definitely less organized than other sites. It is so cluttered with ads all the time. I can't stand myspace, but I did like it in middle school! :)

Alex said...

It definitely has evolved into something else but it probably will continue to. One of the most important things of a online service is to continue to grow. if myspace wants to survive they'll fix their problems.

Kirby said...

I think your brother is right on the money when it comes to Myspace. The last time I even looked at my Myspace page had to be about 2-3 years ago. In fact, I've been meaning to disable it but just haven't gotten around to doing it yet. I think the main reason i stopped using Myspace is because it got taken over by advertisement. I would even get messages on my wall that seemed to come from my friends saying things like, "Hey you have got to try this new (product) i just bought!". As it turns out, this was just a program that they inadvertently downloaded and the messages were being sent to all of their friends. As you can imagine, this got old fast and as soon as i found out about facebook, i never looked back...